Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Final Post...maybe?

So, we come to the end, heh? School is like Christmas--you never remember what you were given then in July. So, the most important question to ask (of any class) is what have I learned? Nothing, is the correct answer. Aside from learning the dynamics of orality, I have learned that it is possible to understand the universe inside myself. We realized these possibilites with our memory theater, but I truly enjoy entertaining the idea that I can know everything if I put my mind to it. More importantly, I've enjoyed seeing this possibility materialize in each of you. There is always something bigger in Dr. Sexson's classes. Often, the overarching theme is making the ordinary extraordinary (which no doubt can be applied to this class, and has been through Groundhog's Day), but for this class, it seems that we can make ourselves extraordinary by interorizing the outside world of both orality and textuality. "If you want to bake an apple pie from scratch, you must first recreate the universe" (Carl Sagan), and this is what seems to have taken place in this class, with Shaman as Pastry Chef. To understand the universe, we have created within ourselves the universe.

No comments:

Post a Comment